Salem United Methodist Church is located in Manheim, Pennsylvania. The borough of Manheim is in Lancaster County and has a population of approximately 4,866 (2013). Click here to get a map to our church. Come join us this Sunday! We would love to have you!
History of Salem United Methodist Church
In the late 1700’s, a log building known as the “Shumaker Meeting House” was erected on the Jacob Schuhmacker farm off of Shumaker Road. This family was later influential in organizing the “United Brethren in Christ” Congregation in the Manheim Area. By 1823, Salem Church was recognized as a regular preaching appointment. In 1837, the congregation erected a small stone building on North Prussian Street. In 1868, a two story brick church was built on site where the stone church stood. The sanctuary was on the second floor. Due to financial difficulties they lost the brick church in 1883 and erected a frame building nearby with the first parsonage. The congregation later relocated on the corner of South Main & East High Streets in 1910. The brick church was to accommodate approximately 200 members. However, in 1973, due to rapid membership growth, need for parking and traffic noise, the congregation built new facilities at 140 North Penn Street on an eleven acre plot. It is at this beautiful location where we worship God today!
What is a Methodist?